Cooke Associates is a network of engineering and management development specialists, the origins of which were formed at Cambridge University.
The consultants who work with Cooke Associates have published a range of books and articles, reflecting the breadth of their interests and expertise.
On the Management Development side of her work, Alison Cooke has written on the need for proper management of talented technical research staff (see here), and a New Scientist conference paper entitled The Next Generation.
Many of Alison's publications have been in the area of sports engineering, with an emphasis on the mechanics of ball sports, her PhD thesis being on shuttlecock design. However, all of Alison’s more recent publications have been in the area of Sustainable Engineering.
The following is a selection of her articles, including extracts published by Blackwell Science Publishing, now managed by the International Sports Engineering Association (ISEA):
- Alexander, S., Underwood, D. & Cooke, A.J. (1998), Cricket Glove Design, Sports Engineering - Design, (Haake, S.J. ed.), Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. Eng. of Sport, pub. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Brown, T.M.C., Cooke, A.J. (2000), Aeromechanical and Aerodynamic Behaviour of Tennis Balls, Proceedings, 1st International Congress on Tennis, Science and Technology, pub. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Cooke, A.J. (1989), The Aerodynamics of Shuttlecocks, Proceedings, 10th Australasian Fluid Mechanics Conference.
- Cooke A.J. (1992), The Aerodynamics and Mechanics of Shuttlecocks, PhD Thesis, Cambridge University.
- Cooke, A.J. (1996), Shuttlecock Design and Development, Sports Engineering - Design and Development (Haake, S.J. ed.), Proc. 1st Int. Conf. Eng. of Sport, pub. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Cooke, A.J. (1997), The Future of Manufacturing (Sports Engineering), Proceedings, The Cambridge Next Generation Symposium, New Scientist.
- Cooke, A.J. (1999), Shuttlecock Aerodynamics, Sports Engineering Journal (Haake, S.J. ed.), Volume 2 Issue 2, pub. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Cooke, A.J. (2000), An Overview of Tennis Ball Aerodynamics, Sports Engineering Journal (Haake, S.J. ed.), Volume 3 Issue 1, pub. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Cooke, A.J. (2002), Computer Simulation of Shuttlecock Trajectories, Sports Engineering Journal (Haake, S.J. ed.), Volume 5 Issue 2, pub. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Cooke, A.J., Bryce-Taylor, A.M., (2002), Sports engineering in education: a methodology for educating engineers and promoting engineering careers, Proceedings, Second Annual Symposium on Engineering Education, Institution of Electrical Engineers.
- Cooke, A.J., Bryce-Taylor, A.M., (2002), Sport science and engineering in education: a multimedia methodology to attract and educate young engineers, Proc. 4th Int. Conf. Eng. of Sport, pub. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Cooke A.J., Macari Pallis, J., Pankhurst, A., (2003), Sports Engineering in Education: an Interactive Computer-based tool for Educating Tennis Coaches on the Science of Tennis, Tennis Science & Technology 2 (Miller, S. ed.), pub. International Tennis Federation, London.
- Cooke A.J. & Mullins J. (March 1994), The Flight of the Shuttlecock, New Scientist.
- Cooke, A.J., Roussopoulos, K., Pallis J., Haake, S.J., (2002), Correlation between racquet design and arm injuries,Proc. 4th Int. Conf. Eng. of Sport, pub. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Dixon, J. & Cooke A.J. (1995), Managing Product Design: A Case Study from the Consumer Sports Industry, Product Design Seminar 1995, Teaching Company Directorate.
- Frank, M., Cant, R.S. & Cooke, A.J. (2000), Computational Fluid Dynamics of a Shuttlecock, Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. Eng. of Sport, pub. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Hubbard, M. and Cooke, A.J. (1997), Spin Dynamics of the Badminton Shuttlecock, Proc. VI Int. Symp. on Computer Simulation in Biomechanics, edited by Laboratory of Sports Sciences, University of Tskuba, Japan.
- Jarratt, T.A.W. and Cooke, A.J. (2001), A Comparison Of Cricket Ball Cores, Proc. Materials and Science in Sport, edited by Minerals, Metals and Materials Society.
- Knowles, K., Cooke, A.J., Lennox, T., Mastropietro, S., (2000), Design of Real Tennis Balls Proc. 3rd Conf. The Eng. of Sport, pp43-50, pub. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
- Roy, J., Cooke, A.J. & Caple, J. (1997), The Use of Statistical Process Control (SPC) to Maintain Slurry Composition, Proc. 23rd BICTA Investment Casting Conference.
- Subic, A.J. & Cooke, A.J., (August 2003), Materials in Cricket, Materials in Sports Equipment, (Jenkins, M. ed.), pub. Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge.
- Parkinson A.T., Cooke A.J. (2011) Market Responses to the Energy Performance and Sustainability of Commercial Property. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Sustainability in Energy and Buildings, 2011. Marseille, France.
- EEBE 2011. How can Barriers to Energy Efficiency be Overcome? Cambridge: University of Cambridge.
- Friedman, K. Cooke, A. 2011 “City versus national energy use: implications for urban energy policy and strategies”. 2011 International Conference on Green Buildings and Sustainable Cities, Bologna, Italy, 15-16 September 2011.
- Guthrie P.M., Cooke A.J., Friedman K., Parkinson A.T., Pelenur M., Ya He J. (2012) The Impact of Policy on the Energy Efficiency of the Built Environment. Technical Report: CUED/D-STRUCT/TR.237. Centre for Sustainable Development, Energy Efficiency in the Built Environment (EEBE) Research Programme.
- Guthrie P.M., Cooke A.J., Friedman K., Parkinson A.T., Vakhitova T., Ya He J., Yi J., Pelenur M., Wattleworth B., Hacking T., Frau-Hipps I., Britnell J., Vickers J., Deeley V. (2012) Scenarios for the Future of Energy Management in Buildings and Property Developments. Technical Report: CUED/D-STRUCT/TR.236. Centre for Sustainable Development, Energy Efficiency in the Built Environment (EEBE) Research Programme.
- Friedman, K. Cooke, A. 2012. “Is UK Planning a barrier to energy efficient retrofit: a comparative analysis of a selection of London Boroughs”. University of Salford RETROFIT 2012 Conference, Salford Quays, 24-26 January 2012.
- Parkinson A.T., De Jong R., Cooke A.J. (2012) A Method for Determining the Relationship between Energy Performance Certification and Workplace Satisfaction. Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Improving Energy Efficiency in Commercial Buildings, 2012. Frankfurt, Germany.
- Parkinson A.T., Friedman K., Hacking T., Cooke A.J., Guthrie P.M. (2012) Exploring Scenarios for the Future of Energy Management in UK Property. Building Research and Information, 40(3), 373-388.
- Parkinson A.T., De Jong R., Cooke A.J., Guthrie P.M. (Under Review) Energy Performance Measurement as a Signal of Workplace Quality. Energy Policy.